Custom Bokeh Pattern

At work I’ve been taking the proof of concept depth of field work I’ve done and iterating on it. One thing I wanted to do was have easier control over authoring and visualizing a bokeh pattern.

I decided to write a quick web page which will generate a bokeh pattern based on a couple of user supplied inputs. It will output a visualization of it and the hlsl code for it. If anyone is interested in using it the link is here:

http://www.trapzz.com/code/bokeh.html


Copying Text to the Windows Clipboard

Recently I was having trouble reproducing a bug the perf team was running into, it had to do with a specific camera position in our workload. I decided the simplest and most time saving approach (for our purposes and for them) was to have them copy the camera data to a clipboard and email it to me – then I could reproduce the position exactly.

The msdn example code I found for copying data to the clipboard worked fine but it was a little overblown for the simple case I needed. I’ve boiled it down to just a few lines and I wanted to post it here in case anyone else wants to add this simple functionality to their application:

if ( ! OpenClipboard(hWnd) ) 
    return; 

EmptyClipboard(); 

char text[512] = "Your clipboard text (or data)";
size_t text_len = strlen(text);

// Allocate a global memory object for the text. 
HGLOBAL hglbCopy = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_MOVEABLE, (text_len + 1) * sizeof(char)); 

// Lock the handle and copy the text to the buffer. 
char *lptstrCopy = (char *) GlobalLock( hglbCopy ); 

memcpy(lptstrCopy, text, text_len * sizeof(char) );
lptstrCopy[text_len] = (char) 0;

GlobalUnlock(hglbCopy); 

// Place the handle on the clipboard. 
SetClipboardData(CF_TEXT, hglbCopy); 

CloseClipboard( );

Simple Websocket Server in C++

Over the holiday break my interest in websockets was peaked when I watched my daughters play a javascript based multiplayer game http://slither.io/. I couldn’t find a simple example (or any actually) of how to write a C/C++ server which uses the websocket protocol.

After a some digging, reading the RFC, etc. I decided to write my own as a test – it’s a very simple test – but it works and establishes a connection. I posted it on github just in case someone else might be curious…it could save that person a couple of hours of header, sha, endian swapping headaches.

https://github.com/mcferront/simple_websocket